I was browsing Susan Ohanian‘s blog annd came across this witty piece:
Ten Commandments of No Child Left Behind
And Congress spake, following the advice of their Business Roundtable handlers:
1. We are the State, which has brought students out of the wilderness of teacher-led classrooms and into the kingdom of test prep. Thou shalt have no other guidance before thee, and then it will follow as night follows day that No Child Is Left Behind.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thyself any graven images, nor any likeness of anything
that contradicts the Standards and their tests. For the State is a jealous god, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth
generation of them who do not obey.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Standardistas, thy god, in vain. For the
State, nor the testing company, will not hold him guiltless that takes their
name in vain.
4. Remember the Standards and keep them holy. The State blessed the Tests
and hallowed them. Thy adequate yearly progress scores shall comfort thee.
5. Honor thy Standards, that thy days as teachers may be long upon the land
of direct instruction which the State gives you.
6. Thou shalt not kill Standardistas.
7. I Thou shalt not have intercourse with any other than thy lawful Standards
and test prep materials.
8. Thou shalt not steal time away from the Standards and preparation for the
State�s tests for frivolous matters.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against the Standards.
10. Thou shalt not covet lesson plans of bygone times. Nor shalt thou covet
libraries, books, recess, art, music, nor anything that went before.
In these days comes the band of the Reading First 73 to preach to the multitudes, �Verily we say unto you seeking Title 1 funds, among the skills of reading, none is greater than Phonemic Awareness.�
Repent, for the kingdom of kindergarten DIBELS is at hand.
Blessed are those who follow the Standardista drum roll, for theirs is the kingdom of government contracts.